For sale there is a wide choice of safety footwear, and at first sight all products look the same. However, there are great differences between different types. My goal is to teach you how to distinguish the correct type of safety shoes for each work environment. To be more precise, in this article I will talk about safety shoes for refineries.
I will try to give you an idea of what type of safety shoes is the most appropriate for your workplace and, in general, for your needs.
Of course it is not possible to list all the potential risks, but those that follow are the most important.
I am sure that this article will help you to choose the perfect type of safety shoes for refineries for your needs.
- 1 Safety shoes for refineries: types of tasks
- 2 The main jobs of the sector are:
- 3 Safety shoes for refineries: cleaning services and oil logistics
- 4 Safety shoes for refineries: types of risks
- 5 The main risks of the sector are:
- 6 Safety shoes for refineries: types of protection and required features
- 7 Safety shoes for refineries: recommended products
Safety shoes for refineries: types of tasks
Most likely you work in the presence of automated handling systems or other kinds of machines, interconnected as to build production lines.
A good pair of safety shoes should protect your feet, but at the same time it should let them breathe, so that a good article of safety footwear suited for refineries will help you a lot.
But a job in this sector doesn’t involve a single task. Therefore, the risks are different according to the activity you perform, and so do the type of safety footwear you should wear.
The main jobs of the sector are:
- General maintenance: you will need regular safety shoes, the more comfortable the better. For this reason a good comfort insole, a robust outsole (preferably made of PU/rubber blend) and an upper made of water-resistant leather (S3, for instance) are highly recommended features, that will help you to do your job better.
- Extraction: normally in this type of job polymeric boots (typically S5) are used. S3 ankle boots of the “rigger” type are also very used, preferably equipped with a water proof internal membrane (WR marking).
- Refinement: normally a water-resistant upper is necessary, as well as an outsole which is not degraded by hydrocarbons. Therefore, a pair of S3 metal-free safety shoes with rubber sole is your best choice.
Best RUBBER OUTSOLE picks by SafetyShoesToday
Safety shoes for refineries: cleaning services and oil logistics
- Cleaning services: if this is your task you likely get wet feet pretty often. You should wear polymeric boots, in order to protect your feet from moisture and to avoid slipping, therefore an S5 SRC product is recommended. If you prefer to use regular shoes rather than boots, than you should better choose a waterproof product, such as S3 WR SRC safety shoes, or at least just S3 SRC.
- Oil logistics: in this type of activity a pair of regular S3 water- and slip-resistant (SRC) safety shoes is enough. I recommend a sole made of rubber or PU/rubber blend, which ensures high resistance to abrasion. If the best comfort is a must for you, then you may prefer PU/PU or PU/TPU, as material of the sole.
Best “WR” picks by SafetyShoesToday
Safety shoes for refineries: types of risks
After having seen a list of the main activities in this field, let’s now talk about the risks that your feet take if you work in a refinery.
Of course it is not possible to list all the potential risks of a job in this sector, but the following are the most common. I am sure that this article will help you to choose the perfect type of safety shoes for your needs.
- You must buy safety shoes to work, but you don’t know what features they should have?
- You wish you had a clearer idea of the risks that you take every day in your job?
Now I am going to show you what the main risks for a worker in this sector are, to help you choose the perfect safety shoes for your needs.
What are the risks for your feet?
And what are the solutions that can be found for sale?
The main risks of the sector are:
- Wet feet;
- Poor visibility;
- Impacts and crush injuries in the toe area;
- Chemical exposure
Safety shoes for refineries: types of protection and required features
Almost every shoe type has versions that offer long-lasting protection. In this case, a valid article of safety footwear suited for refineries should have the following characteristics:
- Water-resistant upper (S3);
- Slip-resistance (SRC);
- Reflector stripes;
- Puncture-resistant outsole;
- Protective toecap;
- Chemical resistance (polymeric boots are the best solution, especially if they follow the standard 13282).
Moreover, the sole should better be made of rubber or PU/rubber, whereas the toecap may be of any type and material.
Safety shoes for refineries: recommended products
- UNI EN ISO 20345: personal protective equipment – Specifications for general purpose safety shoes. This footwear is equipped with a toecap that protects the wearer from impacts and crushes in the toe area. The toecap can withstand forces of 200J and pressure loads of at least 15kN.
- S3 safety shoes. More information about S3 safety shoes here.
- S5 polymeric boots.
- Chemical-resistant Polymeric boots with the 13282 marking.
Best “S5” picks by SafetyShoesToday
Safety shoes for refineries: what do you think?
These are the features that I recommend that you check if you are looking for the perfect pair of safety shoes for your needs.
As soon as you get yourself the right product, you will be much safer at work.
I guarantee that if you wear the right type of safety footwear, you will live a better work experience!
What do you think about this type of safety shoes?
Do you have points to add?
Leave us a comment!