For sale there is a wide choice of safety footwear, and at first sight all products look the same. However, there are great differences between different types. My goal is to teach you how to distinguish the correct genre of safety shoes for each work environment. To be more precise, in this article I will talk about safety shoes for works on asphalt.
I will try to give you an idea of what type of safety shoes is the most appropriate for your workplace and, in general, for your needs.
Of course it is not possible to list all the potential risks, but those that follow are the most important.
I am sure that this article will help you to choose the perfect type of safety shoes for your needs.
- 1 Safety shoes for works on asphalt: types of tasks
- 2 The main jobs of the sector are:
- 3 Safety shoes for working on asphalt: traffic management and controls
- 4 Safety shoes for working on asphalt: types of risks
- 5 The main risks of the sector are:
- 6 Safety shoes for working on asphalt: types of protection and required characteristics
- 7 Safety shoes for working on asphalt: recommended products
Safety shoes for works on asphalt: types of tasks
In this sector one often works outdoors. Winter, summer, cold, hot, rain: any weather condition can occur. A good pair of safety shoes should protect your feet, but at the same time it should let them breathe, so that a good article of safety footwear suited for working on asphalt will help you a lot.
But a job of this type doesn’t involve a single task. Therefore, the risks are different according to the activity you perform, and so do the type of safety footwear you should wear.
The main jobs of the sector are:
• Standing and walking on asphalt: if this is what you do in your job, then you should wear a specific type of safety shoes with flat outsoles, which will give you a good grip and at the same time avoid leaving marks on fresh tarmac. Moreover, such soles are designed not to melt on hot surfaces, as they are made of rubber or a PU/rubber blend.
• Drivers of steamrollers and other machinery: if this is your main task, the biggest risks for you are slipping or suffering impacts or crushes on your toes. Therefore you will need water-resistant safety footwear with a good grip (S3 and SRC), and it should be comfortable as well. A very flexible outsole could also make your job easier (soles made of PU/PU or PU/TPU).
Best “ASPHALT SAFETY SHOES” picks by SafetyShoesToday
Safety shoes for working on asphalt: traffic management and controls
• Cleaning chemicals: some cleaning tasks must be performed with the use of abundant water and some additives such as soap or chemical products. If this is your job, you risk contamination, wet feet and/or chemical burns. It is advisable to use leather S3 SRC safety footwear, also equipped with a waterproof inner membrane (WR), or good polymeric boots (S5 SRC, preferably an article that complies with the 13282 standard). Such products will protect you all the time at work.
Safety shoes for working on asphalt: types of risks
After having seen a list of the main activities in this field, let’s now talk about the risks that your feet take if you work on asphalt.
Of course it is not possible to list all the potential risks of a job in this sector, but the following are the most common. I am sure that this article will help you to choose the perfect type of safety shoes for your needs.
• You must buy safety shoes to work, but you don’t know what features they should have?
• You wish you had a clearer idea of the risks that you take every day in your job?
Now I am going to show you what the main risks for a worker in the field of asphalt works are, to help you choose the perfect safety shoes for your needs.
What are the risks for your feet? And what are the solutions that can be found for sale?
The main risks of the sector are:
• Extremely slippery floor;
• Low visibility;
• Impacts or crushes in the toe or ankle area
Safety shoes for working on asphalt: types of protection and required characteristics
Almost every shoe type has versions that offer long-lasting protection. In this case, a valid article of safety footwear for this field should have the following characteristics:
• Water-resistant upper (S3, or even better S3 WR);
• Protective toecap;
• Reflective stripes;
• Pierce-proof outsoles.
Moreover, the sole should preferably be made of rubber or PU/rubber blend, whereas the protective toecap should better be made of any non-metallic material (such as composite materials or glass fiber).
Safety shoes for working on asphalt: recommended products
• UNI EN ISO 20345: personal protective equipment – Specifications for general purpose safety shoes. This footwear is equipped with a toecap that protects the wearer from impacts and crushes in the toe area. The toecap can withstand forces of 200J and pressure loads of at least 15kN.
• S3 safety shoes. More information about S3 safety shoes here;
• Safety shoes with flat, HRO outsole, suited for working on hot tarmac.
Safety shoes for working on asphalt, what do you think?
Those are the features that I recommend that you check if you are looking for the perfect pair of safety shoes for your needs.
As soon as you get yourself the right product, you will be much safer at work.
I guarantee that if you wear the right type of safety footwear, you will live a better work experience!
What do you think about this type of safety shoes?
Do you have points to add?
Leave us a comment down here!