For sale there is a wide choice of safety footwear, and at first sight all products look the same. However, there are great differences between different types. My goal is to teach you how to distinguish the correct genre of safety shoes for each work environment. To be more precise, in this article I will talk about safety shoes for waste management.
I will try to give you an idea of what type of safety shoes is the most appropriate for your workplace and, in general, to your needs.
Of course it is not possible to list all the potential risks, but those that follow are the most important.
I am sure that this article will help you to choose the perfect type of safety shoes for waste management for your needs.
- 1 Safety shoes for waste management: types of tasks
- 2 The main jobs of the sector are:
- 3 Safety shoes for waste management: truck drivers and recycling
- 4 Safety footwear for waste management: types of risks
- 5 The main risks for your feet are:
- 6 Safety shoes for waste management: types of protection and required features
- 7 Safety shoes for waste management: required products
Safety shoes for waste management: types of tasks
In this sector one often works outdoors. Winter, summer, cold, hot, rain: any weather condition can occur. A good pair of safety shoes should protect your feet, but at the same time it should let them breathe, so that a good article of safety footwear suited for the waste management sector will help you a lot.
But a job in this field doesn’t involve a single task. Therefore, the risks are different according to the activity you perform, and so do the type of safety footwear you should wear.
The main jobs of the sector are:
- Glass recycling: one of the characteristics of waste management is the activity of recycling, where any material can endanger the safety of your feet. Glass, in this case, is particularly dangerous, and that is why I recommend good safety footwear with lateral cut-resistance (the area concerned is the side of the upper) and puncture resistance PR. There is a specific type of shoes that easily withstand cuts on the sides (Cut Resistant).
- Sorting of waste: the main need in this occupational activity is waterproof safety footwear WP, because it is normally performed in damp environments, where the washing of materials happens. Some leather safety toe shoes are perfect, preferably slip-resistant.
Safety shoes for waste management: truck drivers and recycling
- Drivers of trucks for separate collection of waste: if this is your job the main risks for your feet are slipping or suffering impacts or crushes on the toe area. You will need a good article of waterproof WP safety footwear with a good slip-resistant outsole, and comfort is highly recommended. A very flexible outsole will make your job easier and more comfortable (a suited material for that purpose is PU/TPU).
- Metal recycling: if you work in this field, you need to pay great attention to the safety of your feet, because you may find yourself in risky situations. Crushes, cuts on the sides or ankles (I recommend cut resistant footwear), impacts on the toe area (MT, that is metatarsal protection’s marking), slipping resistant and so on. Your safety footwear should then be made of sturdy materials. The best type of outsole is one of full rubber or PU/rubber blend. The upper should be made of high-quality leather and the toecap should be equipped with an overcap, to extend the life of your footwear.
- Compost recycling: if this is your task you should better use polymeric rain boots, in order to be protected from moisture. If you prefer to use shoes rather than boots another good solution is wearing waterproof WP safety shoes, or at least water-resistant steel toe safety footwear.
Best waterproof safety shoes, selected by SafetyShoesToday
Best metatarsal safety shoes, selected by SafetyShoesToday
Safety footwear for waste management: types of risks
After having seen a list of the main activities in this field, let’s now talk about the risks that your feet take if you work in the waste management sector.
Of course it is not possible to list all the potential risks of a job of this type, but the following are the most common. I am sure that this article will help you to choose the perfect type of safety shoes for your needs.
- You must buy safety shoes to work, but you don’t know what features they should have?
- You wish you had a clearer idea of the risks that you take every day in your job?
Now I am going to show you what the main risks for a worker in this sector are, to help you choose the perfect safety shoes for your needs.
- What are the risks for your feet?
- And what are the solutions that can be found for sale?
The main risks for your feet are:
- Wet feet;
- Low visibility;
- Impacts in the ankles;
- Ankle sprains;
- Cuts on the sides because of sharp objects;
- Contamination by chemicals;
- Impacts or crushes on the toe and ankle area.
Safety shoes for waste management: types of protection and required features
Almost every shoe type has versions that offer long-lasting protection. In this case, a valid article of safety footwear for waste management should have the following characteristics:
- Water-resistant upper (steel toe, or better WP Steel toe footwear);
- Protective toecap, possibly with overcap;
- Extreme abrasion-resistance (full rubber sole or PU/rubber blend);
- Ankle protection
- Resistance to cuts on the sides;
- Resistance to chemicals (polymeric rain boots);
- Reflector stripes.
Moreover, the outsole should preferably be made of full rubber or of PU/rubber blend. A non-metallic protective toecap is preferable.
Safety shoes for waste management: required products
- ASTM F2413-11 (America) – CSA Z195-14 (Canada)
- Steel toe safety shoes. More information about Steel toe safety shoes here:
- Safety footwear with ankle protection;
- Safety footwear with resistance to lateral cuts;
- polymeric chemical-resistant rain boots.
Best puncture resistant safety shoes, selected by SafetyShoesToday
Best chemical resistant safety rubber boots, selected by SafetyShoesToday
Safety shoes for waste management: what do you think?
These are the features that I recommend that you check if you are looking for the perfect pair of safety shoes for your needs.
As soon as you get yourself the right product, you will be much safer at work.
I guarantee that if you wear the right type of safety footwear, you will live a better work experience!
What do you think about this type of safety shoes?
Do you have points to add?
Leave us a comment!