On the market there is a wide choice of safety shoes, and at first sight they look all the same, although there are actually great differences among the various types. In this article my goal is to give you some advice about the best Safety shoes against dermatomycosis.
I will try to give you an idea of what problems can be avoided by using the right kind of safety shoes.
I am sure this article will be a big help to you so that you will be able to choose the perfect pair of safety shoes for your problem.
- 1 What is dermatomycosis
- 2 The causes
- 3 Symptoms
- 4 Diagnosis
- 5 Treatment
- 6 Prevention
- 7 Safety shoes against dermatomycosis
- 8 Prevention of dermatomycosis with the right measures
What is dermatomycosis
Dermatomycosis is a skin fungal infection, and there are several types. They are a group of rather common skin diseases and indeed the chances of being infected in your whole life are about 20%. Such probabilities are even higher in places with hot and humid climate.
What’s of interest for us, is that dermatomycosis also affect the feet and the toenails.
Not only fungus can cause infections, but yeasts, too. Infections from yeasts generally manifest as intertrigo, which occurs where there is friction between body parts, hence in the spaces between toes as well.
There seems to be a positive correlation between age and the incidence of the disease.
The most common type of dermatomycosis is athlete’s foot. In this case the fungus thrive in the hot and humid microclimate in the space between the toes. Many patients get this fungus in public pools or showers, where the amount of pathogens is high, and there is enough humidity. Once the fungus has infected the skin in the foot, it can easily spread to other parts of the body, like the hands or the nails.
The symptoms vary according to the type of pathogenic agent and the area of the body which is infected. However, many of this diseases cause desquamation, reddening of the skin and itch. Moreover, it’s common to have chapped skin. Tinea is a very common genre of dermatomycosis, which leads to red skin rashes, round or ring-shaped, very itchy.
A medical examination can detect a generic dermatomycosis, but in order to detect the exact species of parasite the doctor will need to examine some skin or nail samples under a microscope.
Pharmacological therapies are usually effective to eliminate the fungus or yeast. Simple infections are normally treated with topical antifungal medicines like creams, ointments or special nail polish. Massive infections are treated with systemic medicines.
Best breathable textile upper safety shoes, selected by SafetyShoesToday:
Several preventive measures exist:
- Good hygiene, especially of the feet;
- Changing your socks at least once a day
- Using foot powder to absorb the sweat
- Maintaining a healthy body weight
- Any measure to maintain a strong immune system
One of the major problems of safety shoes, I would say perhaps one of the major factors of lack of comfort of work shoes, is the ability to breathe the foot. In some cases this is due to the cheapness of the materials used for the construction of the upper but for water resistant models it is a structural feature. There are manufacturers of safety shoes who are actively working on increasing the breathability of safety shoes. I advise you to pay close attention to the ability of the shoes to breathe at the time of purchase. The luckiest workers are those who do not have the risk of getting their feet wet as they will be able to select non-water resistant safety shoes, which in themselves, not having water resistance, can be equipped with lighter materials, but the best advice is to touch the products with your hand and if you have dermatitis problems you must always try to choose shoes that have the greatest breathability, because allowing the air to circulate inside the shoe will keep the foot dry and will reduce all the problems of dermatitis. The best materials, basically the most breathable, are the knitted fabrics which, moreover, make the shoes very flexible, light and breathable; if you don’t have the risk of getting your feet wet I recommend this type of solution. If, on the other hand, you have the risk of getting your feet wet during your work, you will have to pay more attention to the quality of the materials because it will be the only factor that will allow your foot to breathe and therefore avoid dermatitis problems.
Do not forget that the quality of the materials also affects dermatitis from an allergological point of view; many cheap materials favor allergies and other problems related to the foot so a basic rule is to try to avoid buying cheap shoes. The health of the feet is fundamental for the workers and the purchase of a quality safety shoe is an investment in one of the most important tools to carry out one’s work well, the feet, considering that the safety shoe is worn 8-10 hours per day.
Safety shoes against dermatomycosis
The use of the appropriate safety shoes has the function of avoiding infections on the skin of the foot or between the toes caused by parasitic fungi. Such type of infection is commonly known as tinea pedis or athlete’s foot. The main cause of this illness is a rise in the temperature of the foot caused by bad sweating or heat, which are consequences of the use of inappropriate safety shoes or of excessive hydration of the skin, due to humidity or hyperhidrosis. Non usage of the right safety shoes may lead to blistering, spots on the skin, bad smell, itch and desquamation.
Athlete’s foot is then that disease which causes the skin of the feet and the toes to crack and bleed. Such condition depends largely on the ventilation of the shoes.
Not using the appropriate safety shoes could make the illness become chronic, which would mean always having dry, cracked and itchy skin.
Prevention of dermatomycosis with the right measures
For the above-mentioned reasons you should get yourself a pair of good ventilated safety shoes as soon as possible:
- If you need water repellent safety shoes, which are water resistant but less breathable than non water repellent ones, you should opt for a high-quality model, because good quality leather and lining mean better breathability and a microclimate which is a hostile environment for the pathogens;
- if you need non water repellent safety shoes you should make sure you get a good, ventilated product made of breathable, perforated materials, and even sandals if your job allows it;
- the insole is important, too: a high-quality insole of polyurethane foam and with an antibacterial upper layer, ideally perforated and with activated carbon can be of great help;
- tie your shoes well (it’s important for your safety at work!) but not too tight, otherwise your skin won’t breathe.
- socks play an important role too. At work you should wear work or sport socks made of dri fit or other materials that absorb and release moisture, leaving the feet dry.
- It’s a good solution to have two pairs of safety shoes and to rotate them so that you never wear the same pair two days in a row. This way your shoes will always be dry and clean;
- don’t forget to perform the regular maintenance of your safety footwear: apply an antibacterial spray deodorant to the inside of the shoes, use foot powder and change your socks and insoles often.
Best breathable suede upper safety shoes, selected by SafetyShoesToday:
Safety shoes against dermatomycosis: Conclusions
Those were some small tricks and hints you can use to choose the perfect type of safety shoes for your skin problem.
As soon as you learn the ropes and you get the right safety footwear for your needs, you will experience better comfort at work.
I assure you that if you wear the right type of safety footwear you will live a better work experience.
What’s your opinion on the subject?
Safety shoes against dermatomycosis. Do you have anything to add?
Leave us a comment below!