On the market there is a wide choice of safety shoes, and at first sight they look all the same, although there are actually great differences among the various types. In this article my goal is to give you some advice about the best safety shoes against xerosis cutis.
I will try to give you an idea of what problems can be avoided by using the right kind of safety shoes.
I am sure this article will be a big help to you so that you will be able to choose the perfect pair of safety shoes for your problem.
- 1 What is xerosis?
- 2 What are the causes of xerodermia?
- 3 Who is at risk of xerodermia?
- 4 What are the symptoms of xerosis?
- 5 What are the treatments?
- 6 What parts of the body are the most affected?
- 7 Safety shoes against xerosis cutis
What is xerosis?
Xerosis is a medical term for an excessively dry skin. This name comes from the greek word “xero”, which means dry, indeed. It is also called “xeroderma” or “xerodermia”.
Dry skin is a rather common problem, especially among the elderly. Normally it is a minor issue, but it may cause discomfort. You skin needs to keep hydrated to remain smooth and soft. With advancing age keeping hydrated gets harder for your skin, and it can become dry and rough as it loses its water, oils and natural fats.
What are the causes of xerodermia?
The dryness of the skin is due to a decrease in the oils in the outer layer and normally it is triggered by environmental factors. The following activities and conditions may contribute:
- creams and lotions that are ill-suited for your type of skin
- water too hot by bathing or showering
- bathing too often
- living in areas of low humidity
- living in areas with cold and dry winters
- dehydration, which can also be due to drinking too little water
- prolonged exposure to the sun
Who is at risk of xerodermia?
Xerodermia gets worse in the winter months, when the air is dry and there’s low humidity.
The elderly are more exposed to the risk of developing this condition compared to younger people. As you get older, the sweat and sebaceous glands become less active, mainly due to hormonal changes. This makes xerodermia a common problem for those aged 65 years old and over. Diabetes is also a risk factor, making some individuals more susceptible to the disease.
What are the symptoms of xerosis?
The symptoms include:
- dry and peeling, scaly skin; itch. This especially occurs on arms and legs
- the dermis gets tenting, especially after bathing
- white and scaly skin
- presence of small cracks in the skin
What are the treatments?
The main goal of the treatments of this condition are relieving and preventing the symptoms. Home remedies include the application of moisturizers on dry areas. Normally products based on essential oils are better than the water-based, because they retain more humidity.
Natural remedies such as essential oils and aloe are popular do-it-yourself treatments of dry skin. Coconut oil and other balms can help retain humidity and ease the itch.
Best breathable textile upper safety shoes, selected by SafetyShoesToday:
What parts of the body are the most affected?
The most commonly affected areas are the soles of the feet, especially the heels and big toes (in this case it is called plantar juvenile dermatosis). The deepest fissures in the skin can be painful and even bleed. At work the main cause of excessive skin dryness is wearing moist shoes and socks.
Safety shoes against xerosis cutis
At work an important thing you can do is wearing safety footwear with certain characteristics which can help prevent or reduce this problem.
First of all you should see a doctor: he or she will tell you what the most appropriate products and treatments are for your specific situation.
Even if xerosis is about skin dryness, it is still highly advisable to wear very well-ventilated shoes if you suffer from this condition. A good cunning allows for a more stable inner microclimate.
After that you will only have to proceed to the purchase of a good pair of safety shoes of the right type:
- if you work in moist environments you are likely required to wear water repellent safety footwear. Such shoes are waterproof and hence less breathable than other models. I strongly suggest you choose a high-quality product because good leather and lining mean good breathability. To give an example, a pair of water repellent safety shoes made of full-grain leather and with Cambrelle lining will ensure an optimal inner microclimate, even though they are waterproof. If you need waterproof WR safety shoes then I suggest you choose Gore-tex products: they are of a very high quality and ensure the best breathability.
- If you need non water repellent safety shoes, make sure you get a pair made of breathable materials with wide perforations or even sandals if your work allows it. In general non water repellent safety shoes are made of rather breathable materials such as suede or knitted fabrics, but it is always better to check before you buy a product. Sometimes the producer himself underlines the high breathability of a certain model.
- the insole is important, too: a high-quality insole of polyurethane foam and with an antibacterial upper layer, ideally perforated and with activated carbon can be of great help. A good insole absorbs sweat and then lets it out, leaving the feet dry during work activities.
- tie your shoes well (it’s important for your safety at work!) but not too tight, otherwise your skin won’t breathe.
- socks play an important role too. At work you should wear work or sport socks made of dri fit or other materials that absorb and release moisture, leaving the feet dry.
- don’t forget to perform the regular maintenance of your safety footwear: apply an antibacterial spray deodorant to the inside of the shoes, use foot powder and change your socks and insoles often.
Best breathable suede upper safety shoes, selected by SafetyShoesToday:
Safety shoes against xerosis cutis: Conclusions
Those were some small tricks and hints you can use to choose the perfect type of safety shoes for your skin problem.
As soon as you learn the ropes and you get the right safety footwear for your needs, you will experience better comfort at work.
I assure you that if you wear the right type of safety footwear you will live a better work experience.
What’s your opinion on the subject?
Safety shoes against xerosis cutis. Do you have anything to add?
Leave us a comment below!